[CF-Devel] Can't physically attack powerful monsters

Thu Jun 19 01:41:20 CDT 2003

Bernhard Kuemel wrote:

      Mark Wedel wrote:

      I can't claw/karate some monsters.

       It's really your attacktype.  Best thing might be to see what the

      attacktypes of your characters are - it probably that they somehow

      differ.

      Seems you are right. I appearently could boil it down to weapon class.

      If I wear ring of strife/combat I can attack the dragons again while

      none of the other features of these rings does it.

      Is there some gradual effect of wc? If so, I think this curve should be

      stretched before the step where it stops physical attacks completely.

  Looking at the ring of strife and combat, they have other effects also, eg,
dam (directory), and Str (wc and dam indirectly).

  wc is simply the chance you have of hitting the creature.  It could certainly
be that the bonus wc of the ring (as well as the Str which might give further
adjustments) goes from 'being able to hit this monster 5 or 10% of the time' to
'not be able to hit this monster at all'.

  the wc roll is a d20 - its basically a wc against the ac of the creature.  So
each point of wc is basically 5% change.

  I thought there used to be code that a 20 would always hit, and a 1 always
miss.  But I may be confusing that with actual AD&D rules (which state that),
and not any code actually in the game.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com