[CF-Devel] Old Age

Fri Jun 20 02:49:44 CDT 2003

      > If you create a character.. and let it rot away in the apartment for all

      > time..  well.. then you missed out on the best years of it's life.

      [snip]

      Well, I'm not sure that's such a good idea. Real life can interfere, and

      sometimes you just don't have the time to play CF. It can be very annoying

      that your character just turned 80 when you've hardly played him at all.

I think it should be real server time aging, not just logged in time - you
don't track your character going to the can or sleeping - It can be assumed
that he has a quiet life when not adventuring.  Given the amount of time you
would have to be away and the relative importance of a player vs reallife
and the fact that you can also extend the lifespan of a beloved character
with potions or whatever - I don't see this as a problem at all.  It might
give you incentive to do somehting to prolong his life.  If your real life
seriously intrudes for that long (60 years would be a good while - a few
years, no?) I don't think your CF character is that high a priority anyway.
If you can;t make it online once every few years to do a quest or quaff a
potion....well it's not a real concern is it..

If the time frame is too slow to make aging worthwhile I would even suggest
doubling or tripling the year value or something (every game 'year' goes up
2 or 3 'years' and ages the player 2 or 3 years...)  This would accellerate
the years without accellerating the minutes, hours or months/seasons...

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com