[CF-Devel] Large forest. Was: more proposals

Thu Jun 19 21:50:19 CDT 2003

David Seikel wrote:

     I had a look and I didn't see any pohibition against posting large images,

     so here is one.  If I have committed a serious breach of netiquette, please

     forgive me, I have not been on this list for long.

     This image shows the big world with my large forest in it.  I have added

     grid lines so that you can see the tile boundaries.  The script I use

     converts certain maps to forest wholesale, so I had to choose the maps

     carefully.  Although I ended up with a bigger forest than was needed, there

     are very few straight edges, and thus it looks natural.

     Well it's big, I wouldn't want to see two of them this large anyway.
Did you take your version of the maps in the last six weeks  after all
the forest I added in the same area (but up and to the right...) and
after the changes to Brest (didn't see that on there).  I do think there
should be a 'Great Forest' (names anyone?) to the east of Scorn but four
more forests of this size and the world would be one big forest.  For
what it's worth, I personally don't mind it too much (I have to actually
see the maps first to say if I like them or not but it looks nice from
space), but it is really big.

     Using the weather modifications I posted earlier, the lakes north of Navar

     get a lot of rain, it could be quite swampy there...

Did you change the elevation on the lakes to make them deep?  I am
starting to get cozy with the idea of having a single elevation value
per map (determined by finding the current average?) and then generating
the elevation of each tile on that map based on the arch and that map
elevation value, to generate the weather maps - I think this would be
better way to handle it than actually having the elevation values in the
arches. It would allow for a deep lake in a high mountain area or high
forests or deserts which is not the case currently.  It wouldn't be hard
to do (he said expecting to be corrected...) I think, just changes to
the weather map genertation routine and the map headers,  and it would
free up the map maker form having to change the elevation to make the
weather do the right thing...  You worked with the weather code a bit,
what do you think of that?

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com