[CF-Devel] Ice Castle in the Large Forest.

Sat Jun 21 04:23:56 CDT 2003

David Seikel wrote:

      [...]

      This is my Ice Castle stuff, incorporating my Large Forest script

      and variations on the Post Office scripts, basically all the stuff

      I've been talking about recently.  Most of this is maps, but it all

      ties together. The maps work better if you have applied the patches

      I posted earlier.

I took a first glance at your maps, and the castle
maps look quite nice.

Some comments from what I saw:

I noticed there is a large room in (IceCastleB) with all kinds of
monsters in it, especially high level ones, and masses of them.
This is something I tend to dislike. The old dragonhanger maps were
like that and we had so much trouble with them that they were removed
some day.

The problem is that such masses of high level monsters tend to be
abusive. Players can get millions of exp just for sitting in one room
using mass-killing-spells like diseases or the like.
Besides, it's so pointless when there are just all monsters lined
up in cages. Wouldn't it be nice to have a little bit more "role play
feeling" when engaging high level monsters, or special/rare creatures?

Finally, some monsters really are quest-specific, like the evil masters,
dave and the mudman. I would prefer if they were not used in other
maps, please at least change the name if you do.

I've also seen a big library with nearly all kinds of spellbooks
in it. Isn't this kind of making it too easy to find spells?
Please at least take out the special spells.
I noticed some of them are removed (a.k.a. "censored"),
but I found shockwave for example and color spray which are
quest rewards in other places.

      forest.pl is the script that creates the large forest from the Big World

      maps from the 1.5 release.

Your forest is nice, I looked at the image you posted earlier.
Personally I found it is really a huge forest, but okay why not.

Unfortunately there were recent changes in the area where you
put it: Brest got a mountain ring, there is a new direct road
to lake country and mountain tops generally changed from wasteland
to the white moutains.
Maybe you can check out latest cvs and try merging the forest
in there without discarding the new things.

Generally it's a good idea to always start with latest CVS when
modifying any existing maps. In the end, they have to fit with
latest CVS anyways in order to be put in - so better to be compatible
right from the start. ;-)

AndreasV

--
+++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more