[CF-Devel] unique monsters in the arches (Re: Ice Castle)

Sun Jun 22 22:39:52 CDT 2003

Andreas Vogl wrote:

      Mark Wedel wrote:

      Actually I'd love to make take them out of the arches and make

      them map-customized.

      The reason why I can't do this is that I have no good trust

      in the way map-customized monsters are processed.

      You know that map-attributes in monsters get overrided as

      soon as they apply anything. The evil masters use equipment

      for instance, so there is no way around it.

  Yeah - that is a problem with no really good workaround (other than to set the
creature not to apply any equipment - if you know what equipment they will have,
you could in a sense pre-apply those adjustments).

      It might be possible to insert applied forces to carry some of their

      customized stats, but I have tried that once and had the feeling

      it was not relyable. Is it?

  It should be reliable.  However, one has to make sure that one sets up the
force so that it doesn't expire - changing the speed of the force to 0 should do
that.

      Second, these monsters need animations and they must be defined

      in the arches. I don't like the idea of weaker versions of

      evil masters either. Evil masters are quest related unique

      monsters. I don't want rooms full of them somewhere else.

      They are not supposed to be like orcs which come in all variants.

  Fair enough - I could see the same thing with probably some of the artifact
armor/weapons - you need an archetype for the image/animation, and you'd still
not want look alike items all over the place - it sort of reduces the 'wow -
I've never seen that before - I wonder what it is'.

      For one thing, I could set their names in the arches to something

      like "Don't use this!", and override it with the real name on maps.

      Maybe that's a dirty solution but at least there would be a hint

      not to use them.

  Perhaps a better, but not quite as obvious method, would be to put some info
into the message of the object, like:

msg
this is a quest related artifact.  Do not re-use it without prior
discussion on the mailing lists.
It is current found on map A, coordinats x,y
endmsg

Or combine that with changing the name.  But it'd be nice to convey where these
special artifacts currently are found.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com