[CF-Devel] unique monsters in the arches (Re: Ice Castle)

Sun Jun 22 06:59:09 CDT 2003

Mark Wedel wrote:

      Well, one could argue that per quest artifact monsters/items really

      should not be in the archetypes as is.  Instead, a generic

      (and probably weaker) version should be in the default archetypes

      - one that can be re-used, and the map just customizes that how it wants.

Actually I'd love to make take them out of the arches and make
them map-customized.
The reason why I can't do this is that I have no good trust
in the way map-customized monsters are processed.
You know that map-attributes in monsters get overrided as
soon as they apply anything. The evil masters use equipment
for instance, so there is no way around it.
It might be possible to insert applied forces to carry some of their
customized stats, but I have tried that once and had the feeling
it was not relyable. Is it?
I just don't want to have cheesy ways reducing the evil master's
stats. The only way to assure this seemed putting them in the arches.

Second, these monsters need animations and they must be defined
in the arches. I don't like the idea of weaker versions of
evil masters either. Evil masters are quest related unique
monsters. I don't want rooms full of them somewhere else.
They are not supposed to be like orcs which come in all variants.

      To some extent, it is reasonable to expect that if something

      is in the archetypes, it is fair game to use however.

Yeah, I agree that's how it should be, really.
Though for above named reasons it doesn't quite work out.
So what can I do?

For one thing, I could set their names in the arches to something
like "Don't use this!", and override it with the real name on maps.
Maybe that's a dirty solution but at least there would be a hint
not to use them.

AndreasV

--
+++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more