[CF-Devel] Follower of Lythander - to good weapon

Wed Jun 25 16:25:22 CDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 11:08:49PM +0200, Magnus Kronhamn wrote:

      On Wed, 25 Jun 2003

      scachi at gmx.de

      mak at solace.mh.se

      > wrote:88

      > > And i can asume that you meant 'of Devourers' and not lythander right?

      > > I do agree that the death attack is really overpowered in most places,

      > > but then again it does nothing at all if your not high enough lvl.

      > > And it not working on weapons with slaying is kinda lousy if you ask me...

      > I meant 'of Devourers', you are right.

      > Then this game realy misses some realy highlevel areas, where I have problems to

      > fight through.

      I think a solution might be to up the lvl on alot of mobs, ie without

      actually making them any harder otherwise, or adding partial death

      resistances more often.

      I mean standard mobs like dragons and even balrogs etc arent more then

      lvl20 or so right?

That's quite true... I think the level values for many monsters are really
not an accurate estimate of the monster's difficulty. Balrogs are
notoriously hard to kill even for a level 30 character, if you don't have
the right equipment. And Jessy's arch has only level 30, when Jessy is
MUCH tougher than a balrog. Some of these values should definitely be
bumped up a bit.

OTOH, any Valriel priest will find balrogs and Jessy's very easy to kill,
which makes a higher level setting seem inappropriate.

      Kinda silly that only the really bigass bosses are of a decent level and

      99% of the game dont even have a  chance of resisting a death atack from a

      lvl100 char.

     [snip]

Yeah, there are those "regular" tough monsters which are only around level
30 or so (greater demon is level 40, which seems more appropriate), then
there is a glaring gap past the 40 level, and at the very top, you have
the ancient pupland monsters like the Evil masters, who are level 105 and
above. We could definitely do with more monsters to fill in the gaps.

But I think we should seriously consider bumping up the current tough
monsters, and introduce *lower* level monsters to fill in the gaps
instead. There seems to be another glaring gap of monster levels below the
big demons: there are a great variety of low-level monsters less than
level 12, then a gap until level 25-ish which is only scantily filled with
dragons, and then the cluster of level 30 big demons. We really should
have a more even distribution in the archs, IMHO.

Creativity is not an excuse for sloppiness.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com