[CF-Devel] speculations about the floor

Fri Jun 27 09:55:00 CDT 2003

On 27-Jun-03 Mark Wedel wrote:

        It would be trivial to add a field to the map header like 'map_elevation'.

      It

      would also be easy to populate the archetypes with 'sane' elevation values

      (mountains are 5000 feet or whatever).

The problem with putting it in the header, is that you end up with a
granularity of 50x50, which is even less than the weathermap tiles.  While we
could put it in the arch tiles themselves, I think that will lose precision..
for example, if a forest is allways 3000, you don't get any forests rising out
of a valley into a snowline.

Also.. I still plan on making fully dynamicly generated worlds working.. If you
wreck the precision of the elevation, that becomes impossible.

        If these other elevation files are supposed to be maintained, I then really

      wonder how likely that is to happen.  Map makers making changes may not be

      aware

      of them.  And as said, if this is just holding generated data, why not have

      the

      weather system itself generate that data?  Maybe I'm missing something there.

I realize the elevation is annoying to maintain..  But I don't think reducing
the precision of the elevation stat is the right way to fix this.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net

NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS