[CF-Devel] speculations about the floor (elevation)

Sat Jun 28 00:18:43 CDT 2003

  Going to quickly sum up various bits.

  Elevation - I can see that putting it in the header does not give high enough
granularity.  What I see looking at the code is that the elevation map is
100x100.  So one could put 4 values into the map header and keep the same
resolution.  Not that I'm really saying this should be done, this is just a
note.  I would argue that if the worldmap is expanded, the sizes of the relative
tables should get re-adjusted for the extra tiles, and not have everything get
skewed.

  I'd guess that those current elevations (100x100) are done by averaging the
effected squares?  Thus, you can't really have a low valley within the
mountains, because the surrounding terrain would average it too high.  I guess
that is OK.

  And I suppose that if we only want to store those 100 values, that is fine.  I
just think they'd be more meaningful if more directly associated with the map.
After all, in practice, map makers do not need to download the server, so to say
that some server fild would also need to get updated seems a little odd.

randomized world maps:  Well, it started of as randomized just to give a
jumpstart to the process.  I think as we see time pass, the bigworld will more
and more get customized, to some extent such that it will be mostly hand done.

As far as what the elevation stuff is in, when I first did it, I was thinking
feet.  While it would be fine to describe it as whatever, I think it would be
useful as developers to be able to map it easily into earth measurements, so if
someone says that is 1000', you could more easily grasp what that really means.

More on regions: As I thought about it, this is certainly not something that
should get overloaded onto any existing value.  For example, it could be nice to
associate a monster with a region, so it won't wander to places outside of that
region (for example, you could have a greater_scorn region and  city_scorn
region - have random monsters of appropriate level that will wander the
greater_scorn area, but not wander into the city_scorn area (likewise, if you
have guards/townsfolks in city_scorn, they won't wander into the greater_scorn
area).  Likewise, you could then have a 'remote' region - areas far away from
otehr things - monsters may wander all throughout that remote region, but won't
go into the greater_scorn region, keep safer areas for lower level players.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com