[CF-Devel] speculations about the floor (elevation)

Sat Jun 28 01:43:12 CDT 2003

On 28-Jun-03 Mark Wedel wrote:

        Elevation - I can see that putting it in the header does not give high

      enough

      granularity.  What I see looking at the code is that the elevation map is

      100x100.  So one could put 4 values into the map header and keep the same

      resolution.  Not that I'm really saying this should be done, this is just a

      note.  I would argue that if the worldmap is expanded, the sizes of the

      relative

      tables should get re-adjusted for the extra tiles, and not have everything

      get

      skewed.

The problem is.. the 100x100 thing is only used a a speed hack..  The weather
engine really and truly does use the elevation of every single square to
determine the weather on that square.  If you reduce the granularity to 100x100
it will break the weather.

      randomized world maps:  Well, it started of as randomized just to give a

      jumpstart to the process.  I think as we see time pass, the bigworld will

      more

      and more get customized, to some extent such that it will be mostly hand

      done.

I understand some people don't like fully random maps.  Thats perfectly fine. I
have no intention of forcing anyone to use them.  But I would like to be able
to set a setting and have them occur.  If you set the elevation of the
worldmaps to a 100x100 grid, not only do you break the weather, but you also
break my ability to do fully random maps.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net

NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS