[CF-Devel] speculations about the floor (elevation)

Mon Jun 30 21:31:14 CDT 2003

 --- Mark Wedel <

     mwedel at sonic.net

     > wrote: >

        Elevation - I can see that putting it in the header does not give high

      enough granularity.  What I see looking at the code is that the elevation

      map is 100x100.  So one could put 4 values into the map header and keep

      the same resolution.  Not that I'm really saying this should be done,

     this

      is just a note.  I would argue that if the worldmap is expanded, the

     sizes

      of the relative tables should get re-adjusted for the extra tiles, and

     not

      have everything get skewed.

I just had an evil thought.  If we are going to remove per tile elevations,
we don't really need a per map value either.  For big world, we just need
to specify that the border between ocean and land is at elevation zero, and
calculate from there across the world.

        I'd guess that those current elevations (100x100) are done by averaging

      the effected squares?

Correct.

      just think they'd be more meaningful if more directly associated with the

      map.

LOS really should use elevation information.  Stand on the north side of a
mountain, to the south all you can see is the side of the mountain one tile
away.  To the north you should be able to see a great distance.  Unless you
are also standing in the middle of a forest off course B-).

      As far as what the elevation stuff is in, when I first did it, I was

      thinking feet.  While it would be fine to describe it as whatever, I

     think

      it would be useful as developers to be able to map it easily into earth

      measurements, so if someone says that is 1000', you could more easily

      grasp what that really means.

I ask specifically so that I could make sure that the elevation to
temperature calculation actually matched reality.  I have a formula at home
that is something like 100 meters of elevation subtracts 1 degree
centigrade  or something like that.  Since the temperature calculations are
in metric, I assumed that the elevation would also be in metric.

      nice to associate a monster with a region, so it won't wander to places

      outside of that region (for example, you could have a greater_scorn

     region

I had a similar problem in my Ice castle.  I wanted the ants to be limited
to a certain area.  This is what prompted me to fix some of the inv_checker
bugs.  The nightclub prompted me to fix the other inv_checker bugs that I
posted.

     http://mobile.yahoo.com.au

      - Yahoo! Mobile

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com