[CF-Devel] some oddities

Sat Mar 29 01:57:56 CST 2003

Bernd Edler wrote:

      Hello,

      1. Wisdom

      It seems that players wisdom is always one

      point bigger then it should be naturally.

      eg.: Statistics of a Fireborn

      Stat       Nat/Real/Max

      Str         15/  15/ 15

      Dex         24/  24/ 24

      Con         20/  20/ 20

      Int         22/  22/ 22

      Wis         22/  23/ 22 <-

      Pow         27/  27/ 27

      Cha         18/  18/ 18

      Wearing no items of course.

      I tested with lots of race/class combinations on my test server.

      It is always there.

      I asked other players on metalforge: they get it too.

      Well, no player will complain about having his stats too big :-)

  This is a problem with the wisdom experience category - it is 'Wis 1'.  I'm
not positive how this gets equipped, as its not really a skill (interesting
enough, there are also categories that have Str, Pow, and Con values).

  However, that code will go away with the skill redo.  The idea of putting a
stat in the skill to denote what they of skill it is seems odd to me - there is
already information available on that type of information.

      2. Holy Word

      One can kill ants with holy word of mostrai.

      Ants are race insects. Not giant nor goblin.

      No, i am not talking about holy wrath.

      Ask Hoz.

      Again, nobody will complain about being too powerful. :-)

  This is due to sloppy use of strstr.  If you do a 'strstr("giant", "ant")', it
rightfully returns a match.

  This is unlikely to cause any significant problems - creatures with short
names (or race names) are likely exploits of this bug.  The ant may very well be
the only one.

  I'll add the following note to the TODO list under bugs:
Slaying is sloppy in that it uses strstr.  This, an item that has 'slaying
giant' (like holyword of mostrai) will kill ants.  strstr matching was most
likely added to support comma seperated slaying lists (slaying demon,undead).
However, the code should really insist on exact matching, and if necessary
break apart the comma seperated list.  Probably best to make something like a
'does_slay()' function which can be used all over the place (consistent
behaviour is a good thing).  If performance for this becomes an issue, making
a slaying a set of pointers could be done (char **slaying), and it gets filled
in at load time, and at save time, gets filled in the opposite direction.
However, from a simple basis, a check in does_slay() can be done to see if
slaying does contain a comma, and if not, just do simple strcmp, and only if
it does does extra work need to be done. MSW 2003-03-28

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com