[CF-Devel] Re: CVS commit: arch/monster/elemental

Fri May 9 01:11:50 CDT 2003

Andreas Vogl wrote:

      I'm not really competent with the races file, but wouldn't it always be

      better to set a correct arch entry vs. use the races file to "overrite"

      things?

      Guess I don't fully understand the point of the races file.

  Really, it is a superfluos file.  The races file should probably really get
removed.  I guess some of the codes use it as a summoning list.  However, one
could just as easily use treasure lists for that.

  I suppose having the races file wouldn't be that big a deal if it just
contained a list of things to use as a race.  Thus, you could have a race
faerie, race demihuman, etc, and have elf included on multiple lists.  However,
as things stand now, the objects race is reset according to the race file, which
IMO doesn't make a lot of sense.  My personal thought is that the archetype
should really be what has the definitive data.

      I'm not sure. With the new body location code, the earth witch might

      require a "body_skill 1" attribute. Giants have it.

      A question related to that: Are the "can_use_xxx" flags still required

      actually?

      Some of them seem to have been replaced by "body_xxx" flags,

      at least logically.

  the can_use flags are not really needed anymore.  The can be used to have
monsters pick stuff up but not apply it, but other than that, they have no use
and probably should mostly be removed.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com