[CF-Devel] RE: new red dragon image

Sat May 24 20:10:01 CDT 2003

Tim Rightnour wrote:

      As I've stated before, the monotony of fighting the same thing

      over and over really gets to you.  I'm not suggesting we pick

      crappy images, or make little stick drawings.. but perhaps we

      should consider which we consider to me more important, do we

      want perfect art, or do we want more monsters to enhance the

      play experience.  Personally.. I'd vote for monsters.. heck..

      I play nethack.. fighting little 'a's doesn't bother me.

I have witnessed over several years that mapmakers avoid
badly drawn monsters like the plaque. We've also noticed
that players do complain about crappy images like the old
red dragon we had before. It's not true that people
don't care about art. And there are those who play Crossfire
exactly because they *don't* want to fight little 'a's.

      People will forgive poor graphics for a fun game.

That's true in theory. Just don't forget the last four words
of that sentence please.
I certainly don't want to forbid the addition of monsters
with "mediocre" graphics, but such monsters should at least
be well designed in other aspects to make up for it.

I mean for example, they should fill a gap in the monster
families, have a unique set of attributes/abilities,
maybe have their own treasurelist, etc.
Another option may be that they come along with a set of
new maps.

AndreasV

--
+++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more