[CF-Devel] unipart monsters

Fri May 30 21:56:53 CDT 2003

      Sidenote: These dragons look nice, but they are ripped from

      Ultima Online, aren't they? Anyways, I know you said they are just

      for testing.

Yes these are not going in to the game, but I was planning on using their
geneticly altered 'decendants'.  I never played Ultima online actually, this
dragon I found on a website called Tasty Dead and it was classified as
public domain, but I did suspect it was ripped off from somewhere.  I have
been chopping it up for hamburger but was not going to use it in the game
for this reason.  I did find it convient for testing however since it was
nearly the right proportions already (very close to 96x96).  Now as for
using them in a *highly* modified form (much more clearly original than say
the behemoth, the giant worm or the electric dragon), I was planning to do
this --- I do mean *highly* modified.  I am not interested in stealing
images, but I am interested in creating new images from other images since I
can't draw worth beans.  You can see what I have been doing with the player
animations or the cyclops or the classic ent image - an arm here, a head
there...all much modified form existing crossfire graphics.  Where is the
acceptable (not the more narrow legal definition - but the wider, tastefully
acceptable definition) line here?  I'm trying for the tasteful path and so
far (have added a boatload of graphics this last year...) I think it's being
borne out that I am not a hooligan with poor taste and questionable motives.
I think.

      Would anyone be interested in trying to compile the CF server on windows?

I thought it did already, no?

      Back to the unipart image topic...

      Since I'm drawing myself sometimes, I'm all for going in the

      unipart image direction. However, like Todd indicated, that doesn't

      mean we have to switch today. We can do it step-by-step maybe.

I think that some environmental considerations have to be decided on, It
isn't such an issue to allow overlap in the tiles above, but should they
overlap hrizontally?  How much of  afootprint does a 4x4 creature take up. I
would say it should take up two tiles, but currently it is only one...When I
have played with these images I have used a single part arch as well as a
single tile, is this the correct method, or should the arch still have a
part (minus the face information) for each tile the image covers?  Also how
many maps will break if the footprint rules change.  This will not be
something that can be fixed by script I think - think of the all the trolls
and behemoths and dreads and dragons who will start sliding out of doorways.
Perhaps this should wait until new doors are developed... (hey I did some
horizontal doors - anyone have vertical ones lying around?)

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com