[CF-Devel] unipart monsters

Sat May 31 11:38:45 CDT 2003

Todd Mitchell wrote:

      > Sidenote: These dragons look nice, but they are ripped from

      > Ultima Online, aren't they? Anyways, I know you said they are just

      > for testing.

      Yes these are not going in to the game, but I was planning on using

      their geneticly altered 'decendants'. [...]  Now as for using them in

      a *highly* modified form (much more clearly original than say

      the behemoth, the giant worm or the electric dragon),

That's a good argument. *grin* :-)
Well, when copying or "modelling" from others, the most important
question is: Who is the copyright holder.

For the electric dragon I have used a model which is a scanned
painting. I have honestly tried to contact the author, but up to
date I've been unable to figure out who the author is.
It is not a professional drawing however - and there's no company
behind it. Moreover, when taking the original image and scaling it down,
you will notice that there is not one pixel actually matching with
our dragon. I have redrawn all the detailwork by hand, including
head, wings, feet and tail.
We can safely use this image unless the original author turns up
and tells us otherwise.

Admittedly, the giant worm is not equally safe to use. It's ripped from
final fantasy 2, a very old console game. In fact, you are right about
this one and I'm not confident about the status of the image either.
I do want to replace the image, but didn't manage to draw a worthy
successor yet.

The behemoth is not from me, I have no idea where it comes from.
All other images I've drawn are 100% originals, with a possible
exception of the medium demon which is based on a model of
unknown origin.

All that being said, you may call me picky for pointing out
that your dragon was ripped. However, Ultima Online is a game
which is still selling, and there is a big active company behind it.

      I was planning to do this --- I do mean *highly* modified.  I am

      not interested in stealing images, but I am interested in creating

      new images from other images since I can't draw worth beans.

Yeah, I know your motives are honorable, and in fact I've been
feeling exactly the same way in the past.

What drove me away from using models for my own drawings in CF
is that I was unsatisfied with the results.
The size and perspecive almost never fits. And then you always
have this bad aftertaste that the image isn't really yours.

Those of my drawings which I personally like best are exactly
the ones that I drew from scratch. It is more work indeed, but
given the time, it's not as hard as I had expected.
The truth is, I can't draw worth beans either.

      [...] I'm trying for the tasteful path and so far (have added

      a boatload of graphics this last year...) I think it's being

      borne out that I am not a hooligan with poor taste and

      questionable motives. I think.

I really didn't mean to criticise your drawing skills or
motives. You've drawn a ton of images, and most if them are great.
I love the player animations for example.
Please don't feel discouraged. Keep up the good work.

AndreasV

--
+++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more

     http://www.gmx.net