[CF-Devel] Re: onefang bug fixes

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sat Nov 1 22:55:21 CST 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 07:15 pm, Andreas Vogl wrote:

      The whole "Club of Night mark" thing is not going to

      work. You are handing immunities to the player and

      expect him to walk out over your inv_checkers nicely and

      give it all back. There are hundreds of ways how players

      can get out of your disco room without loosing the mark,

      the most obvious is dying.

The immunities were to stop the patrons from dying due to the lighting effects
being produced by things like lightning spells.  I have not wrapped my head
around the new spell code yet, but there could be a way to make lighting
effects not dangerous.  That would make the immunities no longer required.
There are disadvantages when wearing the "Club of Night" mark, they will
remain B-).

      The shops being too big and selling reserved spells has

      already been mentioned I think.

It was the library that had reserved spells.  The new spell and skill code
will probably make the library useless as it is anyway.  During the earlier
discussion I pointed out that those spells that I knew were reserved were not
in the library.

      I have furthermore noticed that there are anvils for

      power dragonmails in IceCastle which don't require money

      payment (only charge the 60 dragonscales).

      To get there, one needs a "onefang" slaying which I couldn't

      figure out how to get.

That is because it is impossible to get "onefang" slaying, which is entirely
deliberate.  It is reserved for Prince onefang, the owner of the castle.  He
can go to places that others cannot, if you look carefully, you will note
secret passages all over the castle.  The library with the reserved spells is
only accessible by one of these secret passages.  On my server I play him as
a NPC, other server operators can simple not move his player file out of the
map directory and into the players directory.

As for Power Dragonmail anvils requiring money, no one mentioned that they
have to require money.  If that is the case, then that should be in the arch,
or at least mentioned in the docs.  I note that all other Power Dragonmail
anvils already in the maps also don't require money.  You have to kill a lot
of dragons to get 60 dragon scales, and dragons aren't easy to kill.  On the
other hand, if you are capable of killing that many dragons, you probably
don't need Power Dragon Mail.

It's all well and good to say "Power Dragonmail anvils must charge money",
"some spells are reserved, don't supply them", and "some monsters are
reserved, don't use them", but us newbie map makers don't know these things,
since they are not mentioned in the map making guide or other documentation.
I made a good faith effort to find out about reserved spells and replace them
with "censored" signs in my library, then made sure that players can't get
there without DM help anyway.  I even went as far as chaining the spellbooks
down, to prevent theft, making them weight a lot, marking them as god
given, and surrounding the entrance with blocking inv_checkers to prevent
unauthorized entry.  It should be obvious that I didn't intend players to
just walk in and grab a complete set of spell books to use as they wanted.

I haven't even mentioned the difficulty in finding the castle, or getting
there once you know where it is.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com