[CF-Devel] Large forest in big world.

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Mon Nov 10 12:26:19 CST 2003

      Basically, I want the north end to be elven managed forest, full of elves and

      related creatures.  Worshipers of Lythander are welcome, most others are

      tolerated.

      Any objections if I moved the Dark forest to the other side of the road?  The

      Dragon Lord city is fine where it is, they have a history with the elf

      prince, and I will be linking it into a part of the elf forest at some stage

      (when I get it all working).  As far as I am aware, no other maps are

      affected.

We should discuss this - I have been plugging slowly away at some elf
works and if you have a grand master plan then I don't want to step on
your toes.  I have been fooling around with the area northeast of the
big forest you added (I added more trees there and some rivers and stuff
a while ago).

I had planned on making a elf city one day but hidden and only
accessable via random maps and secret ways in the forest (also connected
to some different forests via the 'green way' or some such).  I have no
problem with your elf prince ideas but I could see some conflict if
things got too grand.  What I have done is made some random map styles
for this and a dark forest arch which would represent 'old forest' -
gateways to the 'green way'.  These spots of dark forest are mostly
chaotic wildlands but some paths lead to other areas and some paths lead
to the elvish city of Nimlotha (the city of the twilight).  Since this
takes me a loooong time to do I don't want to hobble your development
but I also don't want to come in one day and see that whole forest
ringed with inventory checkers and keep out signs...

One thing I don't want to see is large areas getting carved off by
people as their personal territory since I think this will lead to large
empty areas. I am not a huge fan of moving all maps to the bigworld just
to save one level of scaling because when you think about it big world
is not really that big and someday much of it will be crowded if all the
outside maps are put there, and many of those maps are not designed for
outside (weather, TOD, movement).
With the way exits work there is currently (practically) infinite space
for everyone to have their own personal development but there is not
infinite space on the bigworld maps.  Adding features and landscapes and
adventures is a good thing (even very large features like a great forest
or large swamp) during this early phase, but carving off your own little
kingdom is not IMHO.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com