[CF-Devel] Large forest in big world.

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Tue Nov 11 09:55:25 CST 2003

[BTW, no need to Cc: me on replies, I'm subscribed to both -devel and
-maps.]

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:59:08PM -0800, Mark Wedel wrote:

       Just a note on moving maps to bigworld -

       I did this with a few, in that these were maps in which there was really

       just a little lead in map that lead to the actual entrance (tower of

      demonology comes to mind - putting  that big tower on the old small maps

      would really be out of scale, but putting it there on the current map is

      OK).

       But in these cases, the map that was removed really had no part of the

      adventure on it.

       But in the case of the dark temple, the outdoor map is quite big, and

       quite full of monsters.

The current Great Swamp maps also have a lot of monsters in the outdoor
map, although they are restricted to the Inner Swamp. There are also a few
monsters in the Outer Swamp, but not very many. I guess my question was
whether it's appropriate to use up such a big area (the inner swamp covers
almost an entire 50x50 map file) just for a single quest.

       If it was chopped down to a smaller size (and the generators removed), I

      wouldn't have much problem with it being put directly on bigworld map.  By

      reasonable size, I'm thinking 15x15 at the largest.

     [snip]

Should I apply this limit to the Great Swamp maps as well?

If people think it's too excessive to use up the entire Inner Swamp for
one quest, I can move most of the stuff into sub-maps and open up more of
the swamp for future development. One idea is to get rid of the current
Inner/Outer swamp distinction (perhaps by building bridges to the Outer
Swamp), and to restrict most of the planned submaps to the central island.
The area can then be used for future quests as needed.  I'll need to
change the current quest story somewhat, but that's OK, it's not set in
stone yet. :-)

"How are you doing?" "Doing what?"

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com