[CF-Devel] Forgotten child

Thu Oct 2 10:15:40 CDT 2003

I'd like to ask some questions, for I really want to see clear:

-Should we expect a fix of metalforge server (fix means correcting things
with the clients, fixing xp-lvl bugs...) in the next few weeks...? Or
months? Or will it be as it is currently until it's wiped out and the new
server starts (with the new skill system)?

-Will there be an opportunity to carry on our current characters on the
new skill system-based server? (As I mentioned an idea which I don't
know if it's a real possibility.)

-Do you want to have a new basis (I mean, code) of skill systems, or is it
your direct goal to split the skills, no matter if there would be a
possibility to form skill groups (preventing such things that one can use
a long sword at lvl 110, and when he finds a Belzebub's sword (or any
other 2-handed sword) he has to go back killing goblins and mice).

And some comments: Maxing out some skills like literacy, hiding may seem
to be pointless. But this argument contradicts with the reason of
the update itself; like you'll be able to make new spells, for example
ones, that only high lvl characters can get. How should one make sure that
only the high-lvl one can learn it? The character should have a high
literacy... There we are. (And indeed should he have high literacy,
preventing cases when a high-lvl char gets the book and gives it to a
low-lvl one.)
And another thing: Will there be an xp-cap? For it there were one, a char
could have only a few skills at high lvl before he reaches the xp limit.
(Same problem now, which seemed to be solved right away, but in fact it's
far worse than before, for this way some people have lvl 1 skills instead
of lvl 110. And yet again, some peepo said that even lower lvl skills are
considered to be lvl 1 as well.)

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com