[CF-Devel] Forgotten child

Fri Oct 3 15:30:53 CDT 2003

     I really think that the development community has been given a bad

     reputation lately and from some people who couldn't take the time to do

     even a basic amount of research.  This problem has nothing to do with

      I don't understand this. Y'know what I did, for example? I saw things

      going wrong, asked somebody, and got this mail list. And wrote some

      mails. Doing research? No, I don't want to do that. I just tell things I

      think should be told. That's all. I'm a simple player. I have right to

      raise my voice. You not like it - kick me from the list (if you had the

      right...).

     Vanity will get you everywhere ;) In actual fact I was not thinking of
you when mentioning this, but others who were complaining (on IRC and
the crossfire forum in actual fact) about percieved issues with
development prior to your mail.  You certainly have the right to post
your views but you will also be responed to accordingly.  I personnaly
have been quite turned off lately by certain people being rude to me
when I've tried to assist them and have decided to start ignoring such
messages.  As for telling things you think should be told, that's fine
too but if you do not take the time to see the issues then you shouldn't
expect people to take the time to credit your opinions.

      Well, IMO players should be treated as humans, not as experimental rats.

      Why is it stupid to think they have the right to know what's going to

      happen to them? They are humans, they act as they should act. Keeping

      things secret just to be sure players won't disagree is unfair (and

      disgusting).

      Besides, I think informing players _should_ be done properly anyway.

What was being kept secret?  I don't understand where this hostility is
coming from.  Nothing was being kept secret from anyone.  No one was
planning on sneaking out in the middle of the night an deleting your
player file and there was no conspiracy to mess up players XP on
Metalforge.  Players using the windows clients have been repeatedly told
that these are currently unsupported clients.  This is what I meant by
minimal research.  Aside from having someone sending individual players
a candy-o-gram as to changes that may or may not take place I cannot see
how you expect to be informed and at the same time expect to do no research.

To top it all off I think that you enrirely missed the point I was
making.  I am assuming you are in all cases talking about problems you
are having on the Metalforge crossfire server.  These issues really have
nothing to do with development and everything to do with that server.
There are many different crossfire servers with different implemetations
for differnet audiences.  Rather than scream at the developers it would
be way more productive to spend some time identifying these servers and
matching up the audiences to allow players to play the game.
A rocksolid mainstream server running 1.5.0 is not the same as a CVS
test server or a legacy 1.3.0 server for DX client support (the last
version to fully support the features of the DX client including the
image caching).  Players should be informed and consider this when
deciding what sevrer to play on.  As far as I am aware Metalforge has
always been a test server (targeting something like a beta level
functionality) and not a stable server.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com