[CF-Devel] Suggestion for new skills

Wed Oct 8 08:08:07 CDT 2003

      > [...]

      > Arguably, all skills that incur no risk should perhaps not contribute

      > anything to your overall exp (skills I can think of in this category

      > are search, literacy, item identification skills, climbing, etc).

I fully agree with this.

      That's the hardest point to decide, I think: what is overall experience?

      How do you define it in relation with other skills?

IMO, overall experience should primarily be a measurement
of "overall toughness".

In the game code, quite often questions come up like "should the player
survive this?", "should the player get hit by this, and how much?".
Sometimes you can decide such things based on a specific skill or
stat value, but in other cases you really need to have an
"overall measurement".
Take maximum health points for example. While it may be intuitive
to base this on a physical skill, it would be really unfair to
those wizard/priest classes to get no good health unless training
in a physical skill.
Another example would be the chance to get infected by a disease.
Again, you could base it on physical, but then the magicians
and priests would catch every single disease crossing their way.

Hence, the overall experience will often decide over life/death
situations. For that reason, it makes sense that only those skills
contribute to overall exp which actually play a role in
combating, and hold the risk to get killed while leveling up
that skill.

      For instance: using alchemy incurs some risk, so should

      contribute to overall experience.

      But reading a scroll (non-spell one) forces you to read,

      thus gives some reading experience, which could arguably

      contribute to overall experience.

Both alchemy and literacy do not incur the risk to die,
hence they should not contibute IMO.

      Maybe I'm about to propose something bad or hard to implement,

      but well... I'd suggest some intermediary levels.

      For instance, a level related to physical resistance, which would go up

      with fighting (clawing, melee, missile, ...) skills. Hit points would

      depend on that particular skill's experience.

      Arguably there could be a magic overall level, combining pyromancy,

      evoker, ..., and influencing spell points.

I also tested the new system, and I can really understand
your notion. However, I think the main problem here is
the split of the magic skill being problematic.

After looking at the division of spells and playing with it,
I have doubts wether it was a good idea to split magic in four.
Wizards are now required to train several seperate skills in
order to have control over all attacktypes (like even fire
and cold). This puts them at a real disadvantage compared
to fighters and priests, which can have all attacktypes
while training only one skill.
If wizardry was one single skill, it could have full control
over spellpoints, which also would seem more appropriate.

It's a similar thing with one- and two-handed weapon skill.
What this split will probably cause is that fighter-class
players pick only the better one of the two and stick with it.
Unless we enforce a global rule like "no one handed weapon
is allowed to have attacktype x", I see little reason for
the split. Two handed weapons taking up the shield slot
seems good enough to me, in resepect for diversity.

The idea about intermediary levels isn't bad, but it
might be hard to implement and also more complicated.
I think it might be easier and more appropriate to just
not split magic and melee in the first place.

AndreasV

Jetzt kostenlos anmelden unter

     http://www.gmx.net

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com