[CF-Devel] Lost in the Bigforest [was Forgotten child]

Sat Oct 11 03:48:50 CDT 2003

 --- Todd Mitchell <

     temitchell at sympatico.ca

     > wrote: >

      One is I would rather see maps submitted than run a script to generate

      the effect you want, especially since I believe the script maybe

      impacted areas of the maps which have been changes in CVS.   I would

      probably have implemented the maps if they had been current but I didn't

      run the script or try to piece together the stuff you had submitted (I

      often can't even find the time to commit my own changes).

I don't beleive the script will screw with the new stuff, at least as I saw
them at the time we were discuusing this.

       I also think

      there were some comments made by others about making some changes to the

      maps which I didn't see addressed (maybe I missed it- sorry).

The comments where about the castle maps (which is in the forest).  The
castle maps depend on inv_checkers working properly, which is why I fixed
the various bugs and submitted them first.  Because the inv_checker bugs
had not been fixed, there was no point resubmitting the castle maps.

      Also, I believe your script turned all mountains to forest - I would

      like to see the forest you mention but not at the expense of loosing all

      the mountain terrain in the region...  Something more complex to

      preserve some mixed terrain and rationalize the elevation differences

      would be nice.

Nope, my script did not change mountains or elevation.  It did preserve
some mixed terrain.

      I was not wanting to commit the python scripts you had submitted since

      they were based on outdated scripts and didn't use the path finding

      (thus requiring manual changes to the script during install) and they

      reworked the existing scripts not to use the shelve module because the

      shelve module didn't work on your system.

I have upgraded my OS and shelve looks like it works fine now.

It looks like I will soon have proper CVS access, so I will download a
recent version, double check that my inv_checker patches have been apllied,
run my forestation script and patch any problems, then work on fixing the
castle problems as discussed ealier (including new scripts).  Expect to
soon see new maps.

     http://search.yahoo.com.au

      - Yahoo! Search

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com