Magic Schools and skills, Re: [CF-Devel] Bugs on crossfire.metalforge

Wed Oct 15 06:11:15 CDT 2003

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 17:12:34 -0400, Todd Mitchell wrote:

      >>Other notes:

      >>I find it very hard to get sorcerer exp, since the only damaging spells

      >>that I found below level 7 are sparks shower, magic missile and magic

      >>bullet; they are all level 1, and it's very tedious to reach lvl 7 that

      >>way. I think we need more spells to fill the gap here.

      > The number of spell schools perhaps needs to be reduced down to two,

      >simply as splitting into 4 may have been doo many.

Actually I like the four schools of magic. It's better to have four
skills to compete with others than three. It's just that we need enough
(and powerful enough) spells in each school to allow gaining exp in a
reasonable way. For summoners it would be enough to tone up the lesser
golem and golem a bit in low levels. And sorcerers definitely need a
decent level 3 spell to fill the gap until level 5, and then a cone
and a ball spell (like fireball or snowstorm) would be useful. Maybe the
mana storm and the other mana spells should be moved to the sorcerer
school.

      and Sorcers have the more tricky/ sorts of magic. Maybe Evokers could

      get the ranged attacks from Pyromancer while summoners could get the

      wall spells (or perhaps do it the other way around for play reasons...)

An alternative wall spell like "magic fence" could be added for the
sorcerer, that looks like a fence, is impassable, cannot be torn down
(so you can lock yourself in) or cast through, but vanishes after some
time.

      I have some graphics for a negabolt and negative energy sphere which

      could serve as a basis for some more sorcerer spells, also things like

      magic missile can be toned up to give sorcerers more attack power (and

      therefore more xp gain)

Instead of removing a magic school, we should add more spells, that
would make wizardry more interesting.
I'm sure most characters would learn yet another magic school for that
special powerful spell you can get there. This can even be a valuable
goal for players that are high level in the other skills, and as long as
your character can learn new things, the game remains interesting.

With the old skill system, when my character was very strong in the
relevant skills melee, wizardry and praying, and my equipment could
hardly be improved, I turned to improving in skills like stealing and
singing, just for the fun of it. And only when I didn't see where I
could improve any more, the game started getting boring. This is the
time when you usually start a new character.

More skills, even exotic ones, make the game more (and longer)
interesting in my opinion.

Bye
Jochen

--