[CF-Devel] The new magic skills

Tue Oct 21 14:24:30 CDT 2003

I personally agree with a lot of these ideas, as that was pretty much the
exact experience I had when I started a few months ago. Despite the fact that
I've played quite a few RPGs, I never know exactly what stats are going to be
most important to me in a particular game. Race wasn't much of a problem, as
the dragon was clearly perfect for me, but there were so many classes...

I'll borrow an idea here from another online game I played, Nexus: The Kingdom
of the Winds (

     http://www.nexustk.com/

     ). The characters never got so
complicated as in Crossfire (individualization was done through visible
armor, armor colors, various hair styles, and various hair colors). However,
the character creation had an interesting twist which would work well with
your ideas: everyone started about the same, besides choosing their look and
gender. After going through a small tutorial area (which should have been
optional, but wasn't), they got to play around in the world for a while. It
wasn't until they'd gotten themselves up to level 5 and gotten a little taste
of what the fighting and magic systems were like that it came time to choose
a class. At that point, you stopped gaining exp until you picked one of the
classes.

Something to consider. :)

--
Devin (Drashian)