[CF-Devel] The new magic skills

Tue Oct 21 15:04:56 CDT 2003

In general, every single RPG and MUD that I have ever played; the first few
characters are "throw-away" characters to get familiar w/ the RPG/MUD.  I
don't think having unclassed 15th level characters is going to help anyone
get familiar w/ the game much.  Start off as a dwarf rogue and see how that
character feels.  Try out the elf warrior... dragon monk... etc...

I do agree w/ making character choices simpler for end users:

  Firstly, make it obvious what the "prefered" classes are for each race.
There would be nothing to prevent the player from choosing a class that
doesn't mesh well w/ the race; that would be a challenge. ;)

  It would be nice to have a "normal" set of attributes for each of the
races that players can modify w/ bonus points -- like Wizardry.  Heck let
the player subtract points to get more points for other stats.  This would
end the whole "rolling for hours" bit.  It now becomes "deciding for hours."

  If Crossfire were to adopt the "newbie" player style mentioned below, it
could be done by having generic "guest" characters.  These characters could
be generated really quickly by the server... random race, random stats,
GUEST + [ something ] for a name.  They roam the world without a class at
level 0.  At level 1, they should be forced to either abandon the world or
choose their class and name.  Maybe give them some bonus stat points at this
point in time.

Personally, I think it would be fun to allow magic users to be able to
ABANDON their current school of magic for another school.  They would still
retain the spells they had from their abandoned school, but are limited to
their current level in that magic school for learning magic and such.  It
would also be cool to have the level in a school of magic affect how well
they learn other magics... ie, a 10th level fire mage has -10 [ something ]
to learn cold spells; while s/he would have +10 to learn fire/+5
explosive...   Once abandoned, that school is closed to the mage.  In this
fashion, there could be "higher order" schools that require like level 10
fire, level 5 cold, etc... to be allowed to study that school of magic.

so ends my ramblings...