[CF-Devel] On teleportation

Fri Oct 24 01:52:59 CDT 2003

  Just a note -

  I personally think the ability of players to be able to teleport should be
restricted.

  This issue of insecureness of maps already mentioned (lake county is on the
bigworld world maps, and I think pupland is or was talked about being put
there).  It is impossible (IMO) to have any form of reasonable checking without
various map changes to know if a player should be able to teleport to one of
those spaces by providing coordinates.

  One could state that there is already some limited ability to do this with
town portal.  But it's just that - limited.  A player might be able to set up
something to teleport to an area to bypass some various checks (however, he
would have had to gotten there once).  But the fact that the player is only
allowed to have one set of town portals probably reduces this - do you really
want to use that one town portal connection to wait for the map it leads to to
reset?  Or might you want to re-cast it someplace where you're currently
adventuring?

  If you're allowed a large set of such connections, then I forsee problems of a
player having a dozen such spots set about.

  I'd also note that one of the justications behind the bigworld maps was to
space things out a bit. Eg, a journey from scorn to navar city should be non
trivial.  If we just add teleporters all over the place, what's really the point
then.  One could take this further (to a level of absurbity) - why not just have
a city with all the dungeons right in it so you never have to go anywhere at all?

  That said, some things could perhaps be improved - add some paths that lead to
major dungeons, make some other things a little more visible.  But IMO some of
hte game probably should be adventuring, and if you just make everything easy to
find, what is really the point?

  And for those dungeons a little farther out - it is obviously up to the player
to decide if they want to head to them or not.  But even as is, it still doesn't
take more than a minute or two of real time to go from scorn to navar city,
which is basically accross the continent.  So nothing on the big world is really
ever that far away.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com