[CF-Devel] On teleportation

Fri Oct 24 15:07:25 CDT 2003

I know I just sent one of these, but this is an older reply I forgot to
finish off in response to an earlier post :).

       The other reason to disallow user supplied coordinates:  There are

      some maps, lake county comes immediately to mind, but probably places

      like pup land also, where movement on the map itself is restricted,

      eg, it is part of a quest or something to be able to get to a certain

      space on the map.  If the user could supply coordinates, they could

      easily bypass any such checks.

      I was thinking of teleporting in /world maps only. Are Lake County /

      Pupland there now?

      But yes, some checking should probably be done...

Lake Country is, there will be more and more of these areas as bigworld
is developed (Andreas has blocked off Brest with mountains for example).
  I don't see allowing the players to choose a map and a coord will ever
be feasable because it is too prone to abuse no matter how much checking
you do.  Further I don't see it as a requirement.  It might be hard
navigating on bigworld and the journey betweeen places is long - but
ther isn't much there yet anyway.  If the problem is getting from Scorn
to Navar then put a boat on the map that takes you there.

There are already potrals in the apartments, in the guilds (Portals
would be a big selling point for joining a guild IMHO) and on various
maps so adding teleport shops isn't in my list of top choices because it
would devaule the existing portals.  I'd rather see portals added on a
per need basis and hopefully with adventure or at least cost associated
(in short some town could certainly habve a teleport shop, but not every
town...)

Now something like a moongate is different - I was thinking more of
having a specific destination portal show up in some places based on
certain conditions (time, date), not change it's target, but I guess
either is valid.  This is an old Ultima 4 idea if I remember right - the
moon gates would appear and depending on the phase of the moons you
could travel to different places.

Heres another semi-related thought: if you used the growth portion of
the weather code to have some preset destination portal arches 'grow' at
random in certain terrains.  On certain dark nights the forest would be
subject to portals to elflands for example.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com