[CF-Devel] Windows installer for server, bigworld & smallworld maps

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sun Oct 26 17:37:07 CST 2003

       You can.

Thanks. I guess I make a 'windows' group?

       Does the installer sit with the maps, or something that is seperate?

      Eg, would you just download the installer, that also includes the maps,

      or would you download the maps, and then download that installer to make

      life easier?

I made server & maps separate. I figured not everyone wanted bigworld maps, and
for updating purposes it's easier to split.
So there are 3 files: server, bigworld maps, small world maps.

       If the former (installer with maps), there are two concerns I have:

      1) It staying up to date on sourceforge (as new map releases are made,

      who will continue to make new versions of that)

I made the installers with Nullsoft's installer, free software (nsis.sf.net).
Currently i made the nsi (script) files by hand, but i'm planning of doing
something like a small perl script to take care of that for me (specially for maps).
I don't mind maintaining (not every day, of course :)) those releases (since
i'll probably just have to run a script to update).
And the scripts can be put under CVS too.

      2) actual space for the data.  Probably more sourceforge's problem than

      ours, but I don't know if they may have some policy on amount of space a

      project can use.

I have no idea of their policy, but i've seen projects with hundred of MB, i
guess CF is small compared to others :).
Sizes for installers are:
* server, 2.66 MB
* smallworld maps, 4.38 MB
* bigworld maps, 19.4 MB