[CF-Devel] some spells weirdness

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sun Apr 18 01:16:38 CDT 2004

Karla Stenger wrote:

      hi all,

      	i'm just posting some weird things players have made me notice today:

      	-the movement of objects caused by spells is also able to move an earth wall

      from it's place, not sure if this one effect is intended, but my logic tells me

      it shouldnt, maybe making the walls weigh more or do a check for the object not

      beeing a wal before pulling it would be nice.

  Well, earthwalls are not walls per se.

  Something that is a wall is basically impeneterable and industractable.
Earthwalls actually more closely resemble monsters, in that they have hp, and
can be killed.

  However, I agree that there should be a check to see if the type is an
earthwall, and if so, don't move it along.

      	-the create bomb spell seems to be less powerful than before, a player with

      level 33 in pyromancy told me to have great problems to kill a cyclops with

      them.

  Probably true - many spells got changed in power when redone - this is simply
due to the way damage and so forth is calculated.  However, the more relevant
question is whether the spell is not out of whack with respect to other spells.

  that is to say, having something less powerful than before isn't necessarily a
bug (I'd hate for that to be the case, because it'd mean nothing could ever get
weakened).

  Perhaps an alternative is to add something like a 'greater bomb spell' - at
some level, it is difficult to make an individual spell completely balanced for
the complete range of levels.  For example, if (or maybe it already is) burning
hands turned out not to be all that useful after about level 20, I'd have no
issue with that - after all, burning hands is a first level spell - one could
make the case that it shouldn't be useful against a level 50 monster.

      	-the charm monsters spell shouldnt give xp in the moment you charm a monster

      too instead of just turning the monsters your pets and wait for them to kill a

      monster to give you some xp? i think it should at least give a fraction of the

      total monster's xp, but that's just my thought abput it :)

  I take it you mean to say that the charm monster spell should give xp the
moment the monster is charmed?

  This could be done, but is a bit different in that the model for most all
spells is you get exp when it causes death.  Eg, we don't give exp for
successfully casting a cure wounds spell for example.

  One problem I see with giving some amount of monster exp when spell is cast is
abusiveness - Probably much easier/faster to charm a bunch of monsters and not
have them kill anything vs having to charm them and then finding them something
to kill (eg, go into room full of monsters, cast a bunch of charms, get exp, and
just leave)

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com