[CF-Devel] map/image layers

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Tue Apr 20 02:32:07 CDT 2004

Todd Mitchell wrote:

      I am not sure about a height value per se, but I did have a wish that we

      could do some sort of trickery with the y axis of the map and the graphic

      sizes so that objects and creatures would be obscured by the portion of an

      object that projects into the tile above.  This means that an object moving

      into the tile above an objects 'footprint' would be obscured. Something like:

  What you describe should work if the drawing code wasn't broken.  The drawing
code is broken because of some of hte layering issues.

  The reason a tree won't obscure the monster behind it is because it may be on
the wrong logical layer (eg, it is on layer 1, the monster 'behind' it is on
layer 2, so is drawn on top of the tree instead of behind it).

  However, more I think about it, I'm not sure if there is a foolproof solution.
  The ideal drawing method is that you draw left to right, top to bottom, and
draw each space completely before moving into the next.  And when it comes to
big images, you just make one draw operation, at the space it shows up, which
results it being drawn over the spaces to its left and above it (properly
obscuring them).

  This would actually work fine.  The problem now is that such a system makes it
impossible to ever draw a small object on top of a big object (for example,
spell effects) - when the big image is drawn, it would obscure the spell effect
already drawn.

  This may actually be more proper in terms of perspective (eg, the torso of a
tall monster would seem to be above the spell effect).  And it certainly would
have the effect of things like tall walls obscuring the creature behind it.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com