[CF-Devel] map/image layers

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Tue Apr 20 19:12:09 CDT 2004

Just some thoughts on this.  Maybe the easiest way would be to put objects in
discreate  viewing layers based on archetype.  For instance, the layers would
be layed out as follows from top to bottom.

9.  Overhead items --------(Forest Canopy, roofs,clouds, etc)
8.  In front -------(Tall Walls Tops, Tall Mob Tops, Tall anything tops as
described by Todd Mitchell)
7.  Spell Affects
6.  Missils.
5.  Players/Monsters -----  ( Normal/low parts of mobs/players)
4.  Items.
3.  Furniture
2.  Walls/doors
1.  Floors
0.  Things that should never be seen.

Each layer holds multiple item, so items will never stack up into a higher
layer.  Also these layers are for viewing only, and don't affect the actual
stacking order of the square.

This might cause some maps to be broken visualy.  Map designers would be able
to override the visual layering by setting a view-axis location parameter to
fix broken maps.

Plus extra layers can be used for future features:  Flying creatures, hiding
(Under furniture), etc

Just some ideas
Adam Ashenfelter