[CF-Devel] some spells weirdness

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Mon Apr 26 07:39:35 CDT 2004

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004, Karla Stenger wrote:

      > Karla Stenger wrote:

      > > just as a matter of comparison, the prayer peace comes to my mind as a spell

      > > able to do exactly what you say... but my point is that the "real work" of

      > > the summoner is done while charming a monster, and it would sound fair to me

      > > that the experience is given by doing that work... and maybe doing so will

      > > give summoners an easier way to go. right now if you run into a room full of

Summoning is hard to train anyway, and the logic seems correct - you charm
the monster = you defeat it. (And it would be a bad propaganda teaching
players that violent means are more rewarded than peaceful solutions.)
"Peace" spell however assures that noone gets more than 1 xp by _killing_
the peaceful monsters. Getting full xp by changing a mood of a monster
could mean infinite source of xp. (The effect of such spells - as far
as I know - are not permanent - except charm itself, tho I can bring
them to a hostile zone and charm them again.) I suggest each succesfull
casting of such a spell should cut in half the _actual_ xp the particular
monster can give, and gives the other half to the caster. It may not
sound logic when one considers that a once-charmed dragon is just as hard
to defeat by _another_ character, I think it's still the best solution.
(It's not likely anyway that two players share killing the same monster.)
Or maybe the best idea could be that charm gives full xp, other
mood-changing spells work as I told above.

Xenon

      > > monsters those monsters usually have pretty similar protections and spells,

      > > so waiting for your charmed pets to kill such similar monsters might get you

      > > a long while. Since your charmed pets can kill other monsters for you after

      > > charmed i said to give just a part of the xp when the monster is charmed,

      > > and so you would also like to wait and see if your pet can kill another

      > > monster and get some more xp.

      > > just my point of view anyway :)

      >   Ok.  It seems that people think that you should get exp.

      >   So the next question is - does this hold true for all spells that change the

      > creatures mood (turn undead, siren call, pacify, conflict, etc), or just charm

      > monsters in particular?

      > And should the player get full monster exp, or just some portion of it?

      i have added a poll about this in the forum, thought it would be good, hope it

      helps :)

      http://www.metalforge.net/cfmb/viewtopic.php?t=352

      --

      | Karla  MŞ  Stenger  Sábat   |