[CF-Devel] clients

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Tue Aug 3 09:11:53 CDT 2004

Well.  Last night I felt like playing some crossfire and I
remembered why I haven't been doing that a lot recently.

The existing clients (xt and gtk) are all but unplayable in
800x600 :-( I do get to play eventually, by splitting windows
and stacking them in a very hackish way, but I don't think
that's an acceptable solution in the long term.

On first thought it may seem that 800x600 is not a modern
resolution; but please remember that in portable-land, only the
most expensive laptops support more than that.  If at all
possible, we should have a client that runs in 640x480!

I know I'm guilty of having started and not finished a client.
I was writing a client for PicoGUI, and when it was approaching
a state where I could actually play the game, PicoGUI itself was
abandoned :-/ so I kind of lost enthusiasm.

As a side note, is anyone working in porting the gtk client to
gtk2?  There are probably three or four binaries linked to gtk1
in my system, counting with gcfclient; in a few months it won't
be reasonable to expect new installations to even have gtk1.

What became of the sdl client?  It seems like, with a smart
skin, it could be made to work in 800x600.

[]s,
                                               +----
--
            Those who trade freedom for security