[CF-Devel] clients

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Tue Aug 3 16:13:38 CDT 2004

Lalo Martins wrote:

      The existing clients (xt and gtk) are all but unplayable in

      800x600 :-( I do get to play eventually, by splitting windows

      and stacking them in a very hackish way, but I don't think

      that's an acceptable solution in the long term.

  Note that there are also options for the client to scale down the size of the
images - this can help a bit also - especially for the inventory and look
window, where the spacing is really determined by the size of the images.

      On first thought it may seem that 800x600 is not a modern

      resolution; but please remember that in portable-land, only the

      most expensive laptops support more than that.  If at all

      possible, we should have a client that runs in 640x480!

  all relative I suppose - it seems that basically any new laptop will have at
least 1024x768, with higher resolution being available.

  The problem gets into the target - a client that runs/looks nice on 800x600
may not look or be all that efficient on higher resolution systems.

      As a side note, is anyone working in porting the gtk client to

      gtk2?  There are probably three or four binaries linked to gtk1

      in my system, counting with gcfclient; in a few months it won't

      be reasonable to expect new installations to even have gtk1.

  I'm working on it slowly.  My main motivation was to have a client that
completely used glade2 for the gui design elements, so that down the road, it
will be much easier to add new menus and whatever else.  Progess is whenever I
have time to do so, which basically means when I'm not busy with something else.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com