[CF-Devel] Improvements to 'tell' and 'reply' commands

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Mon Aug 30 01:36:58 CDT 2004

Andreas Kirschbaum wrote:

      Here are two small improvements to the commands 'tell' and 'reply':

      The patch tell.diff enables you to talk to players with ambiguous names:

      Currently you can't talk to (for example) 'abc' if both 'abc' and

      'abcII' are currently logged in. This patch prefers exact matches over

      prefix/case-folded matches.

      The patch reply.diff allows you to reply to players that logged out but

      did not yet drop the connection. (The current situation is somewhat

      inconsistent: 'talk' does work but 'reply' does not work.)

  I don't see any problem with the first one.

  I'd have to check the CVS logs, but there is probably a reason that there is
an explict check for FLAG_REMOVED in the second case.  My guess would be you
could ge in odd situations with a logged out player, possibly resulting in crashes.

  In fact, I've seen a lot of crashes with logged out but still connected
players.  Really, all that logic should get cleaned up/removed (I think I
mentioned before, but ideal situation would be for client to send both name and
password as part of connection instead of having the the server have to handle
those states, which I think there is an open bug against right now)

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com