[CF-Devel] skills bug

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sun Feb 22 19:03:29 CST 2004

Preston Crow wrote:

      I started a new character, and I decided to be a dwarf with no class.

      This means I started out with smithery and no other skills.  This in

      itself may be a bug (no combat skills at the start).

  It is a player induced bug, which I don't have a lot of sympathy for.

  Really, the ability to start a character with no class should be removed.  At
one point, there was a problem that for whatever reasons, player would end up
back in the hall of selection, and thus could get multiple classes, so that was
added as a way out.

  I don't think that has happened for a long time.  But point remains, if a
player chooses to start without a class, the deserve what they get.

  I'd consider this similar to a character playing a wizard type class and
having a 4 int and 4 pow, and then complaining that with only 1 sp, they can't
cast any spells.  Answer to that is to have higher stats.

       However, what I

      also found is that when I failed to learn a new skill from a skill

      scroll, the 'skills command listed the skill, though I couldn't use it.

  I've fixed this, but this is sort of normal.

  There are many skills which you can get exp in without natively knowing the
skill.  Any skill which uses skill tools is such a case (lockpicking,
inscription).  There are also some skills which you can know the skill natively
or with a skill tool (the spell casting skills with talismans or holy symbols).

  IMO, we want to show the exp they have in those skills, even if they need a
skill tool.

  But it is also problematic in some areas in that we just can't do something
like not show skills with 0 exp, because I think there are still some skills out
there where you just can't get any exp, but we still want to show you have the
skill (mountaineering comes to mind here)

      However, I was able to use karate after failing to learn the skill

      (probably because it was in my skill list, even though it wasn't known).

  Yep - the code that tries to find a melee skill wasn't looking to see if you
could use the skill without a skill tool.  That is also fixed.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com