Re: Re: [CF-Devel] skills bug

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Tue Feb 24 08:33:41 CST 2004

     Just an off the cuff idea, but what if when a party member

     uses a skill you don't have, or you gain exp in that skill by

     some other means, such as a tamed orc, it instead goes into a

     generic bucket, at a reduced rate, say, 50%.  Then, the player

     can issue a command, to empty that bucket, into the skill of

     his choice.

Well I like half of Tim's idea, how about a player just gets 50% experience in their general XP bucket?  Keep the skills out of it all together.  And if overall xp is not fine enough in itself we could make some kinds of skills and abilities that ramp up based on general level rather than skill level.

     I quit joining parties "just for fun" when my character kept

     dying due to the errors of thoughtless party members.

This should happen a lot less now with friendly fire code.  Party play should really be mostly to allow a group of player to overcome situations where they would not be able to survive alone and secondly be a way for players to interact together.  I would consider xp benefits a distant third in desirable party mechanics.  Training up players is an abuse of the party system IMHO.

-Todd

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com