[CF-Devel] skills bug

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Wed Feb 25 12:50:47 CST 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Todd Mitchell wrote:

      This should happen a lot less now with friendly fire code.

      Party play should really be mostly to allow a group of player to

      overcome situations where they would not be able to survive alone and

      secondly be a way for players to interact together.  I would consider xp

      benefits a distant third in desirable party mechanics.  Training up

      players is an abuse of the party system IMHO.

I think so too.
Of course friendly fire has to be enabled for that.
On my local server i shamelessly reduce the damage from ff to 0%.

reasons:

1. All other MORPGs do that. (Yes, not he best argument, but still.)

2. For any good game, gameplay always comes before logic.
   A game is supposed to be fun. Dying from party spells is not.

3. Concerning logic, one can argue that the spells have a
   "friend-foe detection". If this seems like magic to you.. it is. :)

4. Crossfire has an especially large disproportion between
   monster hp and player hp. This causes a disproportion of the
   damage a player can deal/take. Thus PvP usually is
   death in a single tick.

Apart from friendly fire, i furthermore suggest the "pump up" spells
like "dexterity","protection from x","heal wounds" to include the whole
party.
Or one can create extra party spell variants "heal all".

I consider funneling exp. into arbitrary skills abusive.
And i have no problem getting useless exp. eg. clawing
for non dragons. It might be useless, but it does not hurt
either.
Or does it? It does.
When my overall level reaches the maximum, i can no longer gain
any exp. at all.
Thus if i have useless experience like "use magic item" it will
limit my strength in the useful skills.
Thus i suggest that reaching maximum overall should not prevent me
from getting skill experience.

Bernd Edler

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com