[CF-Devel] skills bug

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Thu Feb 26 01:39:08 CST 2004

Bernd Edler wrote:

      I consider funneling exp. into arbitrary skills abusive.

      And i have no problem getting useless exp. eg. clawing

      for non dragons. It might be useless, but it does not hurt

      either.

      Or does it? It does.

      When my overall level reaches the maximum, i can no longer gain

      any exp. at all.

      Thus if i have useless experience like "use magic item" it will

      limit my strength in the useful skills.

      Thus i suggest that reaching maximum overall should not prevent me

      from getting skill experience.

  This is no longer the case in the new exp system.

  A characters total exp is not coupled to the sum of exp in skills.

  For example, a character could have 3000 total exp, and 2000 melee weapon exp
and 2000 more spell exp.

  This is not that likely to happen, but can when the charcter dies - for the
max 20%/3 levels to work right, it is done on each skill as well as total exp.

  So each 'bucket' is now only limited by the max exp value allowed.  So you
could max out exp in every skill as well as overall exp under the new system.

  So in that regard, having exp go into a bucket you can't use does no harm.

  I'd also note that there could be odd cases where it could still be used:
If playing on a permadeath server and a character is reincarnated, they may be
able to use items that they couldn't before.
Likewise, if polymorph is enabled, that could give them ability to use objects
they couldn't before.

  In addition, now that 64 bit exp values are allowed, the likelihood of maxing
out exp seems much more remote.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com