[CF-Devel] Improved invisibility ... isn't

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Thu Jan 22 02:03:21 CST 2004

On Wednesday 21 January 2004 02:11 pm
Rick Tanner wrote:

      On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, ERACC wrote:

      > <rant warning>

      > Does Cyclops have an inordinate amount of luck? That would not be

      > surprising since they are so freakin' powerful already. I mean,

      > PUHLEEZE, you guys 'n gals already took away my ability to melee

      > Cyclops while playing dragon chars by crippling "holy possession"

      > so one can only cast it once. Yeah, right, invulnerability

      > potion, sure THAT lasts a long time ... not. My dragon char,

      > level 66 - phys 46, has to use one potion per Cyclops! Heck, holy

      > possession lasts longer than that. GEEZ! :-/

      > </rant warning>

      FWIW, holy possession not stacking has been in effect for almost a

      year now.

     [...]

Heh, then I've been playing on some OLD servers. :-P

      Cyclops are tough monsters.  They have 50% resistance to every

      dragon attack type (and 100% resistance in one instance) unless the

      dragon has an attack type granted through their god.

No kidding. But I have been in party with a fellow who was playing an
Elf char. Worshipped Devourers. Had a sword blessed by devourers that
"leeched" HP back to him in melee (according to him). I, with my own
disbelieving eyes, saw him destroy a room full of Cyclops and
Gaelotrolls in about 10 to 15 seconds. It took him about 2 seconds
per Cyclops and fractions of a second per Gaelotroll. Not fair, says
I. Dragons, being big, powerful critters themselves, should be able
to do as well with claw attacks. :-P

Maybe I should wait to see how my dragon char does at much higher
physical levels. Maybe I've never gotten a dragon's phys high enough
to be effective against Cyclops without lots of help.

      So, what's next?

      Increase the duration of potions to 5 minutes so you can kill Evil

      Masters and Hyper Kobolds with melee.. ? ;D

Hmmm, now THERE is a good idea if I ever read one. :-P

Oh yeah, as "yuri" and I were discussin' on #crossfire, if a potion
is called "potion of invulnerability" then it should give 100%
protection. Otherwise the word "invulnerability" is a lie. We note
that this "potion of invulnerability" does not make one invulnerable.
To wit a Cyclops still hits my char for some damage even with that
potion applied. Look up the word in a decent dictionary and see the
meaning:

invulnerability
 n 1: having the strength to withstand attack [syn: {impregnability}]
 2: the property of being invulnerable; the property of being
    incapable of being hurt (physically or emotionally) [ant:
    {vulnerability}]

Thus this potion's name is a misuse of the term. So there. :-D

Gene (aka eracc, aka poof)
--
Linux era4.eracc.UUCP 2.4.21-0.26mdk i686
 01:35:43 up 30 days, 10:42,  9 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.05

     http://www.eracc.com/

eCS, OS/2, Mandrake GNU/Linux, OpenServer & UnixWare resellers

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com