[CF-Devel] Improved invisibility ... isn't

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sun Jan 25 01:43:50 CST 2004

ERACC wrote:

     Cyclops are tough monsters.  They have 50% resistance to every

     dragon attack type (and 100% resistance in one instance) unless the

     dragon has an attack type granted through their god.

      No kidding. But I have been in party with a fellow who was playing an

      Elf char. Worshipped Devourers. Had a sword blessed by devourers that

      "leeched" HP back to him in melee (according to him). I, with my own

      disbelieving eyes, saw him destroy a room full of Cyclops and

      Gaelotrolls in about 10 to 15 seconds. It took him about 2 seconds

      per Cyclops and fractions of a second per Gaelotroll. Not fair, says

      I. Dragons, being big, powerful critters themselves, should be able

      to do as well with claw attacks. :-P

      Maybe I should wait to see how my dragon char does at much higher

      physical levels. Maybe I've never gotten a dragon's phys high enough

      to be effective against Cyclops without lots of help.

  Note that not all races/classes are necessarily balanced with respect to each
other.  I believe dragons are at some of a disadvantage in that they can't use
weapons.  The 'advantage' of that is they can now 'safely' choose a good that
also prohibits weapons/armors.  But given that weapons are generally the most
powerful items in the game, and give ways to get new attacktypes and other
bonuses, not being able to use weapons is probably a bit of a disadvantage.

  OTOH, with the 'new' (newer than the original dragon code I believe) body
code, something like dragon claws could be added as a body location, and the
dragon guild shop perhaps sell claw coverings that give additional abilities.
That could swing things in a different direction.

      Oh yeah, as "yuri" and I were discussin' on #crossfire, if a potion

      is called "potion of invulnerability" then it should give 100%

      protection. Otherwise the word "invulnerability" is a lie. We note

      that this "potion of invulnerability" does not make one invulnerable.

      To wit a Cyclops still hits my char for some damage even with that

      potion applied. Look up the word in a decent dictionary and see the

      meaning:

  Back in the 'old' days before partial immunity, they were truly invulnerable
(in those days, you were either 100% immune, 50% resistant, or took double
damage (vulnerable to the attacktype).  So the name was accurate.

  I think now they give you 95%, which yeah, isn't 100% protection.  Life is
also more confusing, as there are other potions which give 90% protection I
believe, and can have similar names.

  It'd probably be nice to fill in the msg strings of a bunch of these objects
to actually describe what they do, eg, if the object is identified, you can know
if it gives 90% or 95% or whatever protection without trying to remember what it is.

  Also, should probably be a shop with near unlimited supplies of these potions.
  One of the past laments is that players have too much money - one reason is
they have nothing to spend it on.  Perhaps if there were piles of these potions
available for purchase, players would end up buying them and using up at least
some of that money.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com