[CF-Devel] Random things & bugs :)

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Fri Jun 18 10:59:05 CDT 2004

      Nicolas Weeger wrote:

      > Hello.

      > First, a player reported (and i tested) a bug concerning writing

      > glyphes/runes/...

      > If you do 'invoke sigil cancellation', you get the message 'you can't

      > cast protection from cancellation with sigil!'.

      > The code gets the first matching spell, 'protection from cancellation',

      > instead of the best match 'cancellation'.

        I'll fix that up.

      > On the message board, some players suggested reducing death penalty for

      > non combat skill (literacy, alchemy, inscription, jewelery, ...).

      > The main reason is that you need a *lot* of time to level in those

      > compared to combat skills like one handed weapons & such.

      > What do you think?

Well, literacy is a tickler. As for me, I could get -*thinking* what was
it, can't remember for sure, but let's say about- lvl 10-15 via reading
almost ALL available spell books in ALL schools. You once have
succeeded in learning a spell you won't be able to read that particular
spellbook again (and get xp for it). Lvl 10-15, and I died once or maybe
twice! Well, one could say "Maybe yore right, fella, but what's the deal,
you know all spells, so what?" Yeah, sure there are skills that aren't
necessery (or even good) to be high lvl at all. Literacy is good only for
learning spell, almost. Well, first, it's good for reading other books as
well, and that's not to be considered needless. (Recipes for example, or
info books etc.) Second, there are peepo who die more frequently. The
situation when somebody can't learn any more new (some powerful) spells
for the fact that his literacy is _low_, (and can't train his literacy
'cause he already knows every lower-lvl spells) is not absolutely
impossible.
There's some problem with literacy, I think... Xp-source is limited.

As for the other skills I dunno, fact, that killing monsta is still not
that boring than training alchemy for example. The difference is not that
big tho. The higher the skill, the more boring training it requires to get
back. Maybe alchemy and co. is more time-consuming. Well, I always thought
these skills to be unbelievably useless. (Face it, really powerfull items
are unforgeable. Not to mention, the time you spend to train that nasty
alchemy skill, you could get lotsa goodies via dungeoning. One meele skill
and praying is all ya need, and some minor knowledge in the 4 wizard
schools, for like Town Portal, Earth Wall 'n' stuff. Ah well, but this
yet sounds like a little "strategy guide", so I stop here.)
Bact to the topic, well some _do_ like these skills, and making them ( I
mean the skills :-P ) harder to train back than meele and praying(?) would
only lead to slicer-dicer sonsofbithes who know nothing else. (Like me
:

     -) Hehh, even I hope we don't want _that_!

        I'd almost rather take the other approach, and just make it easier to go up in

      exp for those skills - increase the reward players get.

        Otherwise, the only way to balance this is for each skill to have something

      like a 'death loss percentage'.  OTherwise, I'm sure it will eventually lead to

      something like 'literacy is harder than oratory, so you should lose less in

      literacy, etc'.

        OTOH, death should also be painful, despite what players may think :)  Now a

      question of how hard/easy is a matter of opinion, and perhaps the current loss

      is too much.

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com