[CF-Devel] Consecrate, spell runes

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sat May 15 23:21:09 CDT 2004

ERACC wrote:

      Greetings Developers,

      On crossfire.metalforge.net the altars in the temples in Scorn were

      ALL consecrated to Valriel recently (level 110). I "fixed" the altars

      by resetting the maps but it was too late for at least one player who

      prayed and lost about 15 praying levels. The DMs have a good idea who

      did it by examining circumstantial evidence, no hard proof. BUT it

      would be nice to have the player's name tied to a consecrated altar

      like is done when a player casts a marking rune. Best would be to fix

      the temple altars so they can't be reconsecrated. I have looked at

      where I *think* this could done but am really clueless about whether

      or not I am looking at the correct code. :-/

  Well, simplest fix would be to make all the altars in the temples 'level 150'
or something - a level higher than the player could ever achieve, and thus not
something that can be consecrated.

  Tying player name to all that can be difficult, because finding a field in the
object could be a problem.  Much easier would be to just generate a log message,
similiar to what is done for player killing.  Then the admins could look over
the logs and say 'oh, so and so cast a bunch of consecrate spells on altars' -
if the log messages include the map name, it makes tying that information very
easy.  And I'm not sure if putting the players name in the altar may somehow
break things (I'd actually bet if a player had a name of 'of', it actually might
- you'd get something like "of's altar of lythander", and it is possible that
code parsing could get confused by that first of.

      Come to think of it, it would be a good idea to embed the player's

      name in ANY rune as well as in items the player might change. It

      would help finding those players that have evil intent and place

      harming runes in newbie areas "as a joke". Perhaps leave some sort of

      marker where the rune was until the map resets to help DMs root out

      the trouble makers.

  This may be doable for these runes in that I don't think the name matters.
OTOH, doing it in the log files may still be better cosmetically (how, for
example, should another player be able to know that Bob cast that fireball rune)

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com