[CF-Devel] Icestorm - could not move - death

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Mon May 24 12:05:17 CDT 2004

On Monday 24 May 2004 10:46
Todd Mitchell wrote:

      In real-life (if it even matters) heavy winds cause damage to

      property every day - even to the point to tearing the roof off of

      buildings and flipping over vehicles so I don't see how it is such

      a ridiculous notion - let alone an 'utterly ridiculous' one.  I

      have been out in a moderate blizzard and believe me it is hard to

      move, hard to see and hard to do anything while the freezing wind

      and snow whips past.  As for fire - even excluding the heat that

      much air moving is certainly a force to be considered. More unusual

      is that in the game they do *not* push objects IMHO. Anyway I

      removed the weights from icestorm and firebreath/burning hands so

      they will not use the knockback effect.  Windstorm I have left

      alone as it *always* used this code in the past and the new wave

      spell I have also left alone since no existing maps use it.

      As I said before the knockback effect was not new.  Perhaps the

      move object function is highlighting the problem however in that it

      appears to have an paralyzing effect on players in addition to

      pushing them. Anyway my mistake was to apply weights to incorporate

      a new effect in some existing spells and I have corrected that in

      CVS.

Actually, I don't have a problem with the effect itself. I have a
problem with the fact there are no countermeasures that I can find
for it. The idea of these spells pushing players around is not bad.
What IS bad is that players have no way to counter it.

Someone suggested a new spell to counter pushback. For non-magic
players some sort of magic footgear or a magic cloak or an amulet
or all the above that counters pushback would be cool.

For now, since there is no way to counteract the effect, I agree it
should not be there. But if changes could be made to magically reduce
or annul the pushback with a spell or item(s) I'd have no objection
to having it in the game. It would add another level of challenge.

Gene (poof|Galahad)
--
Linux era4.eracc.UUCP 2.4.22-28mdkenterprise i686
 11:57:42 up 86 days,  5:52, 12 users,  load average: 0.07, 0.06, 0.01

     http://www.eracc.com/

eCS, OS/2, Mandrake GNU/Linux, OpenServer & UnixWare resellers

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com