[CF-Devel] Traps not working reliable

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Wed Sep 8 17:02:00 CDT 2004

Andreas Kirschbaum wrote:

     Finally I got time to change the rune definitions in the arch directory.

     But I still have some questions how to do it correctly:

      - To re-build the lib/archetypes file, I did a 'make collect'. My

        assumption was to get no modifications from an unchanged arch

        directory. But the result was: some items added (spikes_hidden,

        dforest_exit, ...) and a few other fields changed. Is this something

        I'm doing wrong or is it just a missing commit to the crossfire

        repository?

     You are doing it correctly - You are just seeing new arches which have been committed to the arch module but have not been collected into the server files as yet.  I think it would be better to assume that if you are running CVS you should check the date on the collected files and if necessary run make collect/make install to get current archetypes, images, smoothing, treasure and whatnot if required, rather than trying to ensure the arches and the collected files in CVS always match exactly.  Also if changes have been made that are reflected in server code or are map requirements then it should be done but making a new set of collected files for every change to arches would be a bit of an overkill IMHO.  As the person most often making changes to the arches as well as the guy most likely to not have submitted the new collection to the server code yet, I think it is being done often enough but I could be wrong on this.  I have noticed that when building the server from CVS it wants to run the collection script anyway.  Certainly when a package is made the packager should run the collect script in any case.

I might get chewed out for all this but that's been my experience anyway.

      - A similar problem exists with the CFJavaEditor: the file

        resource/conf/archetypes is quite similar (but not identical) to the

        lib/archetypes file in the crossfire repository. Same question here:

        should this file be identical to the file in the crossfire

        repository?

     Well it should be as current as is practical.  Those needing most
current arches can run javaeditor off the arch directory directly.  For
the same reaqsons keeping them all totally current is a lot more work
than may be needed.  I am not sure if the Java Editor collect routine
recognizes things like the trs files or if all the 'types' are current
either.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com