[crossfire] Re: Crossedit patches

alex_sch at telus.net alex_sch at telus.net
Wed Aug 24 08:10:06 CDT 2005

Quoting Mark Wedel <

     mwedel at sonic.net

     >:

        I wonder how much is also force of habit - took me a while (and some code

      changes) to get the java editor to the point I was willing to use it.

        That said, java is very portable, so easier for those non unix people to

      use it.

        I suppose a gtk client would be easier to make to a windows port.  And

      while

      one side of me would sort of like the speed and efficiency of such an editor,

      one side of me says I really don't want to see another such editor due to the

      maintenance and support headaches it would involve (support for the

      deprecated

      crossedit is headache enough).

        That said, doing a gtk client probably wouldn't be really hard - layout

      could

      be done with glade, and the fact it would be C would mean it can basically

      re-use a lot of existing code (load/save code, display logic from client,

      etc).

        But that's really not a road I'd want to see resources spent.

Personally I prefer the java editor's interface, though issues with java have
caused me very major headaches (i.e. on one 2GHZ computer it runs unuseably slow
for no apparent reason, whereas it runs perfectly fine on a very similarly set
up 400MHZ computer). In the past I have been considering trying to write an
editor in python using pygtk (GTK2). I'm currently thinking that it may not be
the best place to spend resources compared to working on the main server and
client, however it would make an improvement in my opinion. I personally think
that the best ways to go about making a new editor would be with useing
python/pygtk and packing existing C loading code and such into a C extension for
python, or making one in C/GTK2.

Alex Schultz