[crossfire] Re: Crossedit patches

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Aug 26 02:05:25 CDT 2005

     alex_sch at telus.net

      wrote:

      Personally I prefer the java editor's interface, though issues with java have

      caused me very major headaches (i.e. on one 2GHZ computer it runs unuseably slow

      for no apparent reason, whereas it runs perfectly fine on a very similarly set

      up 400MHZ computer). In the past I have been considering trying to write an

      editor in python using pygtk (GTK2). I'm currently thinking that it may not be

      the best place to spend resources compared to working on the main server and

      client, however it would make an improvement in my opinion. I personally think

      that the best ways to go about making a new editor would be with useing

      python/pygtk and packing existing C loading code and such into a C extension for

      python, or making one in C/GTK2.

  I haven't played much with python/pygtk.

  But with c/gtk2, one could use glade to pretty quickly do all the layout design.

  However, I still think it would be better to put work into improving the java
editor vs writing a new one.