[crossfire] Re: Crossedit patches

alex_sch at telus.net alex_sch at telus.net
Fri Aug 26 05:45:07 CDT 2005

Quoting Mark Wedel <

     mwedel at sonic.net

     >:

        I haven't played much with python/pygtk.

        But with c/gtk2, one could use glade to pretty quickly do all the layout

      design.

     Glade can also be used with python/pygtk (via loading the .glade file at
startup. Which makes tweaking the program's interface very quick, because one
just merely has to save the glade file again and for many tweaks doesn't have to
change any of the code). I personally find that python/pygtk/glade makes a very
nice combination.

        However, I still think it would be better to put work into improving the

      java editor vs writing a new one.

     In terms of purely where is the most efficent to spend effort, I'm not sure that
either improving the java editor or writing a new one are clearly better or
worse than eachother. Personally, I see the java editor as being somewhat
difficult to maintain partially because, to my knowledge, there are fewer
developers working on crossfire that are fluent in java than those fluent in C.
Also, I have found that getting java to work under some distributions of linux
can be a pain and once installed can be flakey in some cases. However on the
other hand, writing a new editor could be considered somewhat wasteful when
there's already one that works. IMHO, the benefits of making a new editor are
certainly significant, however it would require significant effort, which could
arguable be spent better, to get to a similarly working state as the java editor.

Alex Schultz