[crossfire] Banking system

Anton Oussik antonoussik at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 05:15:28 CST 2005

On 27/12/05, Nicolas Weeger <nicolas.weeger at laposte.net> wrote:
> So if we want to change things, i'd go for a credit card / checkbook
> system, but only for small amounts - like under 1000 platinum.
> This way you wouldn't need to carry money for usual things, but only for
> high-priced ones.
> Rationale is that shopkeepers don't have any way to check whether your
> bank account really has all that money, so prefer to get the real hard
> coins :)

Also replying to several posts.
Firstably card vs chequebook: I don't think there is plastic in CF,
and so things should not be made out if it. For all purposes
chequebook would work like one, since you would implicitly make a
cheque in a shop.

Secondly about dropping money in shops have the amount deposited to
your account - this is not really how banking works - how will the
money get to the bank? If I found some cash, I would not walk into a
random shop, and give it to them (unless I was feeling especially nice
that day).

Thirdly about the amount alowed to use in shops - I was thinking the
racist shopkeeper system could be extended to work with cheque books -
the amount you can buy would depend on your race, religeon, and the
type of chequebook you have. If you are not trustworthy enough, output
a message along the lines of "the shopkeeper laughs at your cheque".

Since Mikee said he was making some archetypes, it might be a good
idea to make several, and once the amount you have reaches some
number, say 1,000, 10,000, 100,000, 1,000,000, and 10,000,000, send
out a new book to the player. Making them primary colours would also
be a good idea, so something like white, red, green, blue, black would
work.

It is unclear if bank should charge for using the service or pay you
interest. In the interests of deflating the economy I'd say they
should charge something like
10plat/day for the basic card,
200/day once you get over 10,000,
3,000/day once you get over 100,000,
30,000/day to those entrusting their millions to the bank and,
400,000/day once you have more money than you know what to do with.

I'n not entirely sure I like this idea though, and I think it will
meet heavy resistance from others in this list, since it introduces a
charge for a fixed amount of time, which a player may or may not
actually spend in the game. Perhaps charging a one time payment when
money are deposited would appeal to more people, but that can be
exploited by dropping many small deposits (unless you argue that if
you pay in a silver coin it should not be credited to your account).

Allowing a player to inscribe a cheque to another player, which can be
paid in at a bank by the player in question, or exchanged for cash at
a bank would be a good idea.

Also banks sending bank statements to the players every day/week is an
interesting though. This all relies on a system that can send items
through the post (I assume that is how people would get their cheque
books? I guess the banks could also be arranged to do give out new
books, by refusing to deposit money over a certain amount until you
purchase the next expensive card.